AVVO Superb Rating

Free Consultation

(856) 681-0429

Call Us Today!

Contact Us

Our team is here to help

Contact us for a free consultation.

Probate &
Estate Planning

Probate Administration
Benefits of Probate
Estate Administration
Estate Planning
Estate Taxes
Charitable Planning
Living Revocable Trusts
Irrevocable Trusts
Retirement Plan Distribution
Wills & Trusts

Practice Areas

Business Law
Commercial Law
Transactional Tax
Real Estate

Estate Administration in Haddon Heights

What does administration involve?

Whenever someone passes away, their estate will need to be collected, managed and distributed: this process is broadly known as "estate administration." When someone dies with a will, then an executor will be named in the will to carry out these functions. When someone dies without a will (dying intestate), then the Surrogate Court will appoint an "administrator" to manage the estate.

While executors and administrators have different titles, their primary functions are the same: to settle the estate. In both cases the personal representative appointed by the court shall be duly qualified and legally appointed to perform the following functions:

  • Collect the decedent's assets.
  • Pay debts, claims and expenses against the estate.
  • File final state and federal income tax returns on the decedent's behalf.
  • Distribute the remaining assets to the beneficiaries named in the will, or if there was no will, distribute assets according to New Jersey's intestate succession laws.

Those individuals who are designated by the terms of a will or appointed by the Surrogate's Court to manage the assets and liabilities of an estate are responsible for the administration of the estate. Executors and administrators act as officers of the court since they derive their authority from court appointments.

Liability for Executors & Administrators

A personal representative (executor or administrator) has an important responsibility to conduct themselves in an honorable fashion. However, if even when acting in good faith the personal representative makes an honest mistake through the misunderstanding of the law or one of their duties and makes an error, they can be held personally liable and sued by the beneficiaries. Some common mistakes made by personal representatives include:

  • Failing to properly secure assets and it results in a loss.
  • Make poor investments which lose money.
  • Failure to pay taxes which can make the representative personal liable for interest and penalties.
  • Selling assets without authority to do so.
  • Engage in actions that are a conflict of interest.
  • Unnecessary delay of a settlement of the estate.

While it's an honor to be chosen as an executor of an estate or appointed as an administrator, keep in mind that estate administration is a large responsibility that should not be handled without legal assistance from a qualified Haddon Heights probate attorney.

Contact Harris Law Offices for Skilled Counsel in Camden County

As the founder of Harris Law Offices, I have over 30 years of experience, I have a 10.0 Superb Rating from AVVO, and I am included in New Jersey's selection of Super Lawyers®, which is limited to no more than 5% of attorneys in the state. Please contact my office today at (856) 681-0429 to schedule a free consultation.


I would like to learn more about Probate in New Jersey.

What are the benefits of Probate?

What kind of Tax benefits can I receive for Charitable Planning?

Should I set up a will or a trust?

I am ready to speak with Ken Harris!

Harris Law Offices
Harris Law Offices - Haddon Heights Estate Planning Attorney
2 White Horse Pike,
Haddon Heights, NJ 08035.
Phone: (856) 310-9500.
Website: .
AVVO Superb Rating

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Privacy Policy   |   Site Map

Free Consultation

(856) 681-0429